© Len Kenna & Crystal Jordan 2014 updated 2016
When sugar plantations were under construction in Australia their was a mass migration of workers from across Asia, Pacific Islands and India. Some Indians settled in North Queensland and established cane farms and other agricultural pursuits and have lived in the area for generations making a valuable contribution to the area and to Australia in general.
The most well known family, but not the first to own a sugar cane farm in the area is that of Mungul (Mungal/Mungil) Singh from Bilga, Jalandhar who arrived in Victoria in 1893. After working as a hawker and purchasing a wheat farm he returned to India.
Mungal Singh later returned to Australia and worked in the cane fields in North Queensland. His teenage son Daleep joined him in 1925. While Daleep (Don) was working for George Parry in Gordonvale whose farm was later given to him on lease.
Daleep was a very successful cane farmer and in 1951 brought his teenage son Gian to Australia. Gian Sing Bains and his family have expanded the farms and are very successful farmers today. Don Daleep Singh donated land for a Gurudwara at Edmonton. The funds to build the Gurudwara were raised by donations from the members of the Sikh Association and others. The Temple was designed by Architect, Ken Chappell who was inspired by studying photos of Indian Temples. The Guru Nanak Gurudwara opened on 20 November 1983 at Edmonton.